Monday, August 18, 2008

Ban this and ban that. Yes, lets ban that too!

The leaders of PAS again have talked without thinking again. They want to ban alcohol and gambling in all Pakatan controlled states. That leaves me wonder what else that they want to ban.

If they want to ban this and and that, then the whole Malaysian economy will go down the drain. It is bad enough that at some places, the tourist cannot get pork as it is deem not halal. But it is still food to other people. Let me relate this story to you.

My friend from Australia was staying in a 5 star hotel in Penang and he asked me, "Mate, why can't you find bacon or ham during breakfast?" I naturally replied, "You're in a Muslim state you know." "But they serve pork, bacon, ham and all the rest of the stuff people would eat in Dubai and Morocco!", he exclaimed. I sheepishly replied, "Welcome to Malaysia, The Truly Asia". "I am not coming to this place again," he said in disgust.

The more you enforce something, the more people want it. So why not let it all go. BUT educate them. Let these people make choices. If the people are well educate, then they should make the right choice.

If PAS takes over Malaysia, then Genting will have to go. Do you know how much revenue from Genting's operation that the Government tax each year? By the way, there are Muslims in the Board of Directors for Genting and they should resign immediately as Genting has got alcohol and gambling activities. Both which is haram. Now PAS, if you want to make noise, go and whack these people out from the board of directors.

While I was working in US, a guy told me something that really made me think. "It is ok to drink, but not ok to be drunk".

I personally don't drink or even gamble. Ban it if you want but it is still a stupid move. By the way, ban smoking too while you are at it. Smoking is bad for your health but no one said anything about banning smoking. Funny isn't it with the double standards.

Good thing PAS have some sensibilities to say that they would now look into combatting corruption instead of all these petty matters. At least they are still using their grey matter although a bit late.

No comments: